That's what little boys are made of. . .

. . . is my valiant attempt at blogging about these THREE special little boys. hopefully, it will help our loved ones to keep up with us, and help me to remember these days that are flying by way to fast. enjoy!!

Sunday, August 31, 2008

a blessing. . .i think

okay, i'm going to start from the beginning, because not everyone has heard this story. some of you know that i like to job search. not just for me, for anybody looking for a job. i think it's fun and interesting to see what is out there.

well, around mid summer i saw a job on careerbuilder that the new south carolina virtual charter school was looking for teachers. i had heard some things about the charter school, but not much. i carelessly filled out an application thinking that they would send me some more information. never heard anything from them.

then, about three weeks ago, i was "job searching" again, and saw that they were looking specifically for a part time physical education teacher. let me jump in here and say that i have been thinking alot about "working" lately. i feel like the boys are at an age that i need to at least start thinking about going back to work. i can't say that the idea of teaching for the next thirty years or so sounds very appealing right now. i do enjoy it, just not sure that's what i want to be when i "grow up". all that said, as i was wondering exactly how you teach phys ed "virtually", i filled out the application again. i was a little more descriptive this time.

the following day i received an e-mail from a recruiter saying that i looked like a possible match and that he was sending my resume and application to the school administration. that was on a wednesday. . .by monday i was on the phone with the administrator doing a "mini interview". she said she would get back to me later that week. she called and hour and a half later and offered me the job.

this whole time, i'm thinking this is way to good to be true. here were all the pros. . .
1. i can work from home
2. it is only 10-12 hours a week (perfect amount of time since christian is in preschool three mornings this year)
3. money. . .great money. more than i can make subbing (i have subbed for the past couple of years), and certified subs make pretty good money in greenville county.
4. they sent me a laptop and a printer.
5. they will pay my bill for my internet connection each month

and cons. . .
1. let me think. . .nope. . .can't think of any!!

my theory most of the time is that if something sounds to good to be true is usually is. but, after reading the employment agreement, it seemed like everything they said was a reality. i accepted the position on august 20th, and my classes started on the 28th.

needless to say the last week has been hectic. i'm trying to learn how students do "school" virtually. it is a very interesting program, and one that i think will be HUGE in the near future. it's definitely worth looking into if you are a homeschool parent. it offers alot of the advantages of homeschool, while removing most of the grunt work.

so they've got me taking this online course myself about how to teach virtually. it's been a rough week. the course usually takes four weeks to complete. i have ten days. talk about being confused. sometimes i think my brain just doesn't work the way it use to. but, i am encouraged by the fact that there are other people in the class that are confused as well.

so, that's it. i'm back in the work force. . .part time. please pray for me as i have much going on these next couple of weeks. i'll post later about how you teach pe online. everyone keeps asking, and i wasn't really sure until this week.

this is a blessing. . .i think. . . i'll keep you updated. thanks for your prayers!

2 comments:

sarah said...

wow! sounds like fun!

although you do have me curious as to how one teaches or takes pe virtually ;)

can't wait to hear about it!

Brent, Lori and Elli said...

What a great opportunity. I know a girl that does it full time. She loves it and encouraged me to try to teach online. I am very excited for you.
Lori